Monday, October 17, 2011

Meet Sarah Williams, Author of Captive


Sarah Williams new novel, Captive, an Urban Fantasy story full of mystery, twists and turns. 

You can get it at Amazon or Smashwords. In the meantime, meet Sarah below.

1.  Tell us a little bit about yourself. What else do you do besides writing?

I’m originally from England but have been living in Australia for the past three years.  The move gave me the opportunity to indulge my passion for writing.  A lot of my time is spent marketing my current novel and writing new material but I also do some freelance work.  I write content for websites, blogs, brochures, newsletters and other commercial literature.  As well as writing I also enjoy gardening, good food and wine, yoga, reading, films and music.  I have ambitions to become fluent in French and learn to play the piano but at present haven’t had time to fit any of this in.  I’d also like to learn how to surf.

2. How did you first get into writing?

Writing has always felt like a natural thing for me to do.  I write not only because I want to but because I need to.  I started writing when I was in primary school; some of my earliest memories are of putting pen to paper.  I loved sitting down and creating characters and then sending them on adventures.  I loved letting my imagination run free.  I started handwriting stories and reading them to my little sister.  I soon upgraded to a word processor and would spend hours writing out my stories, reading out each new chapter as soon as I’d finished.  English and Drama quickly became my favourite subjects and I went on to University to study Theatre and Creative Writing.  Writing is just something I’ve always done and always enjoyed.  It’s a major part of who I am.



3. Tell us about your latest book.

 My latest book is called Captive and is set in the area of England around which I grew up.  I’m purposefully vague when describing my book as I feel that many of the twists can be spoilt by offering too much information.  I’d describe my book as a thriller with a supernatural twist.  It’s fast paced, full of action and designed to lead the reader in various twists and turns.  I’ve always said that I write things that I myself would like to read and I think this is reflected in Captive.

4. Is it part of a larger series?

 When I first started work on the book I had pictured it as a standalone novel but once I got into it I realised it was really only the start of the tale.  I therefore made the decision that a sequel and possibly even a prequel would make up part of a series.  I’m currently writing the sequel, which is as yet untitled, and I hope to have this released in 2012.

5. What was your inspiration for your book?

The idea for this book began with the first chapter, which popped into my head like a scene out of a film.  I pictured a young woman plotting her escape from a hotel room.  That was the first idea and the whole thing just blossomed from there.  I have an active imagination and my mind tends to wander.  I get a snippet of something in my mind and all of a sudden it’s spawning ideas for a whole novel.

6. What motivates you to want to write? What do you enjoy about it?

When I write I feel like I disappear into another world.  I lose myself in fiction and enjoy blocking out the real world for a few hours.  I’m very specific about listening to music whilst I write and I’ll choose tunes that seem appropriate to the chapter I’m writing.  I create a soundtrack to my novel and as I’m writing it’s like watching the film play out before my eyes.  I love to create stories for others to read and I enjoy seeing different reactions to the work I’ve created.

7. Do you have any advice for new writers about perfecting their craft?

 I think it’s important to accept and use constructive criticism whilst staying true to yourself.  If you’re going to get friends and family to review your work then you need to push them to be as honest as possible.  What did they like?  What didn’t they like?  Was there anything that didn’t make sense? Just remember that you don’t have to agree with every suggestion.  Not everyone will like what you write but than can often just be a simple matter of opinion rather than evidence of a poor writer.  It’s also important to ensure your work is carefully edited.  There’s nothing more embarrassing than a spelling mistake and it can make you appear unprofessional.  Proof read your work over and over. Then get someone else to edit it for you.  Then when they’ve edited it, go back and proof read it again.  We all make mistakes, we’re human after all, but it’s always best to check, double check, triple check and then, just for good luck, check it again.

Many thanks

Sarah

Links:

Captive on Smashwords:  http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/84844  

No comments:

Post a Comment