Monday, October 31, 2011

Interview with Mike Jordan, Author of Never Saw It Coming


Meet Mike Jordan, author of Never Saw It Coming, available on Amazon, Amazon-UK and B&N

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. What else do you do besides writing?

Well, I work in the telecommunications field and maintain my own blog, ModeratelyProfane.com. I've got a background in humorous/seething with righteous indignation type Op-Ed pieces, something I started doing when I was writing for gunaxin.com. When I'm not writing or working, which isn't often, I can be found in front of a dartboard, not living up to my boasts of skill and accuracy.


2. How did you first get into writing?

Well I started writing, like most bad habits, when I was young… for me. I never had much interest in reading or writing as a kid, until a fateful collision of a childhood love of Star Wars and Timothy Zahn's Heir to The Empire trilogy. I started writing shortly after I read those books. I actually wrote a piece about the experience for my blog.

3. Tell us about your latest book.

Never Saw It Coming is the story of seven days out of the life of Tim Finnegan. Tim is one of those guys that never really got it together. He has all the brains and drive a guy needs to make it, but can’t see past his own anger and resentment. Those qualities and faults lead to drinking heavily and unwise words. His week starts off with a bullet to the head, and gets worse when he wakes up in the hospital two days later, completely healed and plagued by precognitive visions.

4. Is it part of a larger series?

Yes, I'm already working on the second book, titled Undeserving, and have a third planned. I'm also kicking around the idea of a 'prequel' type series involving two of the characters introduced near the end of Never Saw It Coming, that wind up playing a major role in the second book.

5. What was your inspiration for your book?

Honestly, I was in college at the time, working two jobs to support myself and pay for school, which I was in danger of flunking out of, because I didn't have enough time for full time classes, a full time job and a part time job.  I was in line at the bank staring at my both of my paychecks and realized they weren't enough to get me through until next payday. I got mad. Really mad. Seriously, it bordered on rage. I'm fairly certain the teller thought I was going to rob the place, given the look on her face.

SPOILER ALERT!!!
I didn't. What I did do was stop off at the liquor store and used the money for the phone and cable bill to buy a case of beer, a carton of cigarettes, a fifth of Jack Daniels and a very fine bottle of Glen Morangie. I went home and proceeded to get absolutely and obnoxiously drunk. I wrote the first two chapters of Never Saw It Coming that night. I wound up quitting both jobs within the month and school at the end of the semester. All three were bad decisions then, but I woudn't change them for the world now.

6. What motivates you to want to write? What do you enjoy about it?

What motivates an alcoholic to drink? They're addicted. As am I. If I don't write anything for a couple days I start to get moody, twitchy and well, rude. For me it's simply a need. For every page I use, there are two I cut. I let myself go off on tangents, simply because I enjoy seeing how it will pan out. In writing Never Saw It Coming, I'm fairly certain I killed every character in it, at least twice. As for what I enjoy about it? I love reader reactions, even if they hate it. At least I made them feel something.

7. Do you have any advice for new writers about perfecting their craft?

Like any skill, practice makes perfect, Try to write something daily. Even if you never use it, it may come in handy later.

No comments:

Post a Comment